Learn how to improve pronunciation, add breaks and troubleshoot lip synchronisation in Synthesia STUDIO.
Before you get started:
Learn how to:
Occasionally you will notice minor problems with the pronunciation of certain words or phrases. Below is a list of recommendations on how to fix some of the most common problems.
Use audio previews
Before generating your video, preview your script and selected voice by clicking on Play Script. This way you can identify any pronunciation issues prior to generating your video.
To save time, if you have a long script, you can preview only part of your text. To do this, select the part you want to preview, and click Play selected.
Use short paragraphs
When you have a long script, break it down into smaller paragraphs. This will help our system adjust the pacing of the video and fix minor pronunciation issues.
Spell words correctly and don't mix languages
Make sure you have used correct spelling, and don’t mix languages. For example, don’t include Spanish words in an English script.
Insert hyphens and use phonetic spelling
You can sometimes fix word pronunciation by inserting hyphens or using their phonetic spelling. Here are a few examples:
Try inserting hyphens to make the word sound like you want. For example:
- [ Content → con-tent ]
Try spelling acronyms it like they would sound. For example:
- AI → a-eye
- AWS → a-"double you"-s
- NYC → N Y C
Try spelling numbers as words. For example:
- Ten eighty-nine -> 10 89
- Two five eight six -> 2 5 8 6
- One hundred and forty eight: -> 148
Below is a handy table to help you replace letters with phonetic alternatives.
Use punctuation marks
If you have problems with sentence rhythm, try inserting commas, periods, or quotation marks to add different styles of breaks in your script.
- Periods will add a longer break and downwards inflection.
- Commas will add shorter breaks than a period.
- "Quotes" will add emphasis to a specific word or part of the sentence.
For example: I want to add emphasis to this "word", or "this part of the sentence".
Use SSML markup language
We support a so-called SSML markup language. If you want a break in your text, add the below tag to your script to adjust the duration of it. The break can be up to 5 min.
<break time="2s" /> | This tag will add a 2 seconds break.
<break time="50ms" /> | This tag will add a 50 milliseconds break.
Troubleshoot lip synchronisation
Sometimes you will notice differences in lip sync when you watch a video in your browser compared to the one you download. Often, this is not a problem with the video you created in Synthesia STUDIO, but rather with your video player or headphone setup.
Here are two of the most common reasons:
- You are using Bluetooth headphones to watch your video, and the latency compensation is not configured properly.
- You recently switched from Bluetooth to a wired connection. In these cases, latency compensation can sometimes get "stuck" and the video will no longer sync to compensate for a delay that does not exist.
Here is how to fix the problem:
- The first thing you should try in any of these scenarios is to quit and restart your video player, or even restart your computer if that does not fix the problem.
- If you are still having problems, click here to read an article on how to fix Bluetooth audio/video sync on Windows and Mac.